Thursday, February 11, 2010

Full On Homemade Vegetarian Dinners On Tuesday and Thursday!


I know, I know I promised to make complete vegetarian meals every Tuesday and Thursday. 
Three veg days have passed and I only cooked once...and it came out terrible!

The menu was as follows: 
Baked Tofu With Pear Sauce Over Rice
 Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
Salad with Red Leaf and Baby Mixed Lettuce, Goat Cheese, Raisins, Grape Tomatoes, Pine Nuts, and Homemade Dressing

I have to say, I was a little bouillon cube crazy. I normally use vegetable broth or stock already made that comes in a carton. However, I  thought it would be more cost effective to just buy the package of vegan bouillon cubes with sea salt.

OK, let's start with the Baked Tofu...I had made the pear sauce before, but it was a little too sweet. This time I mixed up a bouillon cube with warm water, ginger, and the pear all fruit, hoping it would balance out the sweetness.  Then I threw some whole pieces of Star Anise into the sauce while it was simmering over the baked tofu. However, the sauce never caramelized, so the flavors never blended together. I did throw in pear slices, but I don't think it was the right time. Nothing really came together...Oh and the rice! I'm not sure if putting a bouillon cube into the rice worked or not. I was too focused on the tofu thing to really figure that one out.


Now, on to the Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup! 
I found the recipe online at http://www.care2.com/greenliving/creamy-broccoli-soup-recipe.html#  and I added garlic and used 6 bouillon cubes in 6 cups of water instead of 6 cups of vegetable broth. I believe I might have put way too many cubes in the pot, because all I could taste was the sea salt. It was so gross neither one of us ate it. 

I really liked the salad, but in the midst of the stress related to the other dishes coming out so bad, I messed up on the dressing. I just didn't have the patience to stream in the oil and it never emulsified. Hence, basically ruining the salad. 

So, that is another accounting of my experience making full on homemade vegetarian meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays!

Tonight I hope it all comes out better! I'll try to take it easy with the bouillon cubes...

SALUD!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://www.lowimpactliving.com/blog/2008/01/01/vintage-used-furniture-find-green-gold/