Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tobias Wolff At Writer's With Drinks!!!


While I was gushing all over Corrina Bain on how amazing her performance was, she was commenting on how many people (the place was packed) were at The Make out Room on Saturday night, when Stephen Elliot enthusiastically chimed in with, "Because, the line up tonight is OFF THE HOOK" and he was absolutely right.
Charlie Jane Anders

Writer's With Drinks, a monthly book reading in San Francisco hosted by Charlie Jane Anders, is never a let down. As far as I'm concerned it's the best show in town. However, last Saturday did boast an exceptional line up, with Tobias Wolff, Lev Grossman, Taylor Mali, Andrew Lam, Corrina Bain, and Bill Carter!

 Tobias Wolff

Tobias Wolff wrote This Boy's Life, (1989) which was turned into a movie, with the same name starring Robert De Niro, Ellen Barkin,  and Leonardo DiCaprio.

 Taylor Mali

Taylor Mai Was a teacher who wrote poems, now he is a poet who writes about teaching.
 
Andrew Lam

Andrew Lam read his short story "The Palmist" which was read by David Strathairn on the NPR series Selected Shorts.  
I heard that broadcast while I was driving and when I reached my destination I sat in my parked car to hear the whole story. I never knew who wrote it...until last Saturday night.


Lev Grossman and Corrina Bain

If you look closely at Corrina Bain's Photo, you will see Stephen Elliot's head growing out of her neck.


Bill Carter (photo from his website)

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of Bill Carter. Here's a snippet from his bio online at http://www.billcarter.cc/, "In the last 15 years he has traveled to more than 45 countries. He is the director of Miss Sarajevo, the award-winning documentary, produced by Bono, who also wrote the theme song for the film. 



Tayor Mali reciting "What Teachers Make"
BullisSchool April 23, 2010 — 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://www.lowimpactliving.com/blog/2008/01/01/vintage-used-furniture-find-green-gold/