Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Freewheelin' On One Crutch!


It is amazing how not being able to walk while holding something in my hand has affected me emotionally. I'm a wreck. Since, I can't go anywhere I thought more people would just come over to hang out and keep me company. I had lots of company and help at the beginning, but who wants to just come over and do nothing or someone else's chores? The sheer amount of help dwindled quickly after about two weeks. I have been unable to do normal things for SIX weeks.

However, Sunday I decided to walk with one crutch, like a cane. It is amazing to be able to walk around (albeit very, very, very slow) while holding something in my hand. I vacuumed yesterday for the first time since the operation and for the first time really liked doing it. Eating in the living room was like planning a family vacation. For six weeks eating a meal in a room other than the kitchen, meant full out planning with my bike messenger bag, a thermos, and Tupperware. If it couldn't go in the bike bag I'd have to eat it in the kitchen. Getting my morning coffee to my desk was like going on a Walkabout in the Australian bush. I was always a better person at the end of it.

 From the movie Walkabout (1971)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://www.lowimpactliving.com/blog/2008/01/01/vintage-used-furniture-find-green-gold/