Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hanging With The Tourists And The Yuppies



Thomas took this by mistake, but I really like it
 


Well, today is Tuesday and I am wondering what to make for dinner. Last week I decided I would create full vegetarian meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturday, Thomas and I soldiered on (I think it took us about 7 minutes) to the Ferry Building to shop at the Farmer's Market. I haven't been since last year and Thomas has never checked it out. It is kind of a tourist destination as well as a yuppie vortex, which are two groups of people a lot of San Franciscans try to avoid. However, it has the best variety of organic produce from local farms in the city. We got there probably around 9:30 in the morning. I knew it was on the late side, but that was the best we could do. Arriving late at the San Francisco Farmer's Market doesn't mean you'll miss the best produce. It simply means you will not miss most of the tourists and city dwellers pushing those crazy kids in those gigantic strollers. We decided whole families just don't get out of the house before 9 am. Also, I think the people are a little more polite earlier on Saturday morning. I suggest getting there no later than 8 am.  

Thomas took these pictures of us


We were really cold


This is where we went to escape from the maddening crowd


Immediately, we were overwhelmed by the amount of people already there, plus the amount of booths selling produce as well as prepared food, spices, pickled things, and cheese, cheese, cheese. I love cheese, but these days I am trying not to get lost in it. We just concentrated on the goat cheese, because I am convinced it is better for us. However, in the end we didn't buy any. We ended up with a bunch of different types of radishes, potatoes, chard (baby and regular), two kinds of lettuce I've never seen before, two bags of almonds, and a type of pear I have not had before, plus other things I am sure I have already forgotten about. Right now I am trying to figure out what to do with all of this, plus the broccoli and cabbage I already have.  



I will let you know how it turns out!


By the way,
I found this great vegan cooking blog I would like to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://www.lowimpactliving.com/blog/2008/01/01/vintage-used-furniture-find-green-gold/