Friday, January 22, 2010

Homemade Vegetarian Dinner Last Night!


Last Night's Menu

Kohlrabi Soup w/ Tofu

I really had no idea what to do with the two different kinds of (purple and regular) Kohlrabi and the Watermelon Radishes Thomas and I bought last Saturday. I found this recipe online at http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/soups/r/kohlrabisoup.htm and followed it with a few modifications. I used soy milk instead of regular milk and fake butter when it called for butter. I couldn't find a bay leaf (don't ask me why) and I added the leftover cashew sauce I had made on Tuesday, plus a whole package of Savory flavor baked tofu. I thought it came out pretty good. However, I suggest blending the hell out of it. I had to throw it back in the blender, because at first it had the consistency of baby food.The cashew sauce was an after thought. Normally, I would have chosen one protein and would not have gone with cashews and tofu.


Green Cabbage and Watermelon Radish Salad with Sunflower Seeds and Homemade Dressing


The tricks (I have found) to a good cabbage salad (or slaw if you will) are to slice everything very thin and keep the pieces as long as possible, toss in only enough salad dressing to coat each piece, put it in the fridge a couple of hours before dinner, and then right before eating toss in the rest of the dressing. I think that chilling it with only half of the dressing keeps the salad crunchy.


Baby Potato, Purple Potato, and Yam Chips

The homemade chips were very tasty. However, really oily. I laid them out on paper bags to de-grease them, but upon looking back we probably should have patted off the front sides of them as well. We seasoned them with salt and pepper, but I think any herbs would have tasted great.  The purple potatoes came out the most crunchy. I think I sliced the yams with my brand new Mandolin too thin, because they browned up way too fast, but they tasted amazing!


I had to put Thomas to work

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://www.lowimpactliving.com/blog/2008/01/01/vintage-used-furniture-find-green-gold/