Friday, January 15, 2010

Homemade Vegetarian Dinner On Tuesday and Thursday!

I have been a vegetarian for nineteen years. Over the years I have gone through periods when I'd cook quite a bit, other times I would go out to eat for every meal, and recently I have been eating food already prepared out of a can or the freezer.  Clearly, just nuking my food was the only option the two months after foot surgery, but I have been a lazy vegetarian for a few years, now. I don't (ever) eat fish, chicken, or anything that had eyes, but I tend to depend on quesadillas and mac and cheese a little too much and the extra poundage I have acquired proves it.

Cooking full vegetarian meals just for me, feels weird. Now, that I can walk around my house, stand long enough to cook a full meal, and have a guinea pig to experiment on, I mean cook for I am determined to do so. Thomas, my willing participant in this cooking venture, is also a vegetarian.

So far so good, as I have already prepared two full vegetarian meals this week. Neither of us have ever really gone out with vegetarians who are really into food before, so this is a real treat for both of us. Both of the dinners were things I created without recipes and have never made before this week. I forgot to cut off my Spud account and they delivered the set box with organic veggies I do not usually order, so I had to get creative and just use what I had.

TUESDAY

Salad
Green leaf lettuce, plain goat cheese, red onion, pine nuts, and Mandarin oranges with homemade dressing

Roasted Root Vegetables
Red beets, yellow beets, baby potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, red onion, garlic cloves, leeks, whole sprigs of Rosemary, Thyme, and Dill

Baked Tofu
Tofu cooked in a pear and ginger caramelized sauce with fresh pear


THURSDAY

Salad
Green leaf lettuce, plain goat cheese, unsalted and raw cashews, apples, and grape tomatoes


 
Veggie Shepard's Pie
Vegetarian Sausage (Gimme Lean), celery, red onion, garlic, baby potatoes, and sweet potatoes




EAT ME
It's barely legible in this photo

Tomorrow, Thomas and I are off to the Farmer's Market at The San Francisco Ferry Building to figure out what we are going to eat next time.

SALUD!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
http://www.lowimpactliving.com/blog/2008/01/01/vintage-used-furniture-find-green-gold/